Friday, December 24, 2010

Need a simple Christmas hors d'oeuvre recipe?

Well, it's the big day for our family Christmas party! From great-grandma down to our youngest nephew, we'll fill my brother and sister-in-law's house and then fill ourselves with all sorts of yummy hors d'oeuvres. My heart always aches a little for my side of the family, too. with her living in So Cal and my parents in Southern Illinois. But I've grown to love the traditional Christmas Eve shin dig with my husband's family.
One of my family's personal favorite treats for any party, is also one of the most simple treats I've ever made! Works for me. They're called bacon wrapped dates, and they are...well, bacon, wrapped around a pitted date with a toothpick stuck through to hold it together. Yes, it's really that simple. Here's "the recipe":


Bacon Wrapped Dates:

You'll need:

A package of pitted dates
Bacon (preferably nitrate-free)
Toothpicks
Shallow baking dish (deep enough to contain any grease run-off)

You can stuff the pitted dates with cheese or almonds if you'd like, but we like them un-stuffed. Now that you have every thing you need, go ahead and preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
Cut your bacon in thirds (or in half if you'd like more bacon flavor. I usually do half a slice, myself), wrap the bacon around each date with the bacon seam facing down and place in shallow baking dish. Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes or until crispy, turning once. Drain the excess grease on a paper towel and voila! Super simple, huh?

Now they may not be the prettiest hors d'oeuvres at the party, and people may hear "dates" and wronkle their nose at you, but trust me!!! They'll be a total hit! They taste similar to sausage with pancake syrup. Yum!
 Hope you have a wonderful and safe Christmas Eve whatever you may be doing!
God bless you and your families!
~Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love, LoVe, LOVE hearing from you! I will read every single comment and will do my very best to reply.